VA VW Groups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trans shop

+2
Copper1982
ewdb92
6 posters

Go down

Trans shop Empty Trans shop

Post  ewdb92 Sun 24 Oct - 10:34

Howdy folks!
Anyone got a recommendation for a good transmission shop in the F'burg area or in the Richmond-DC corridor? I'm looking to rebuild or buy a rebuilt trans for my 71 camper.
Thanks
Erik
ewdb92
ewdb92

Back to top Go down

Trans shop Empty Re: Trans shop

Post  Copper1982 Sun 24 Oct - 18:31

I couldn't afford to have shop rebuild mine up here in dc for my 66 bus, i ordered a mofoco one off ebay and... well idk... there was some debate over how it leaked gear oil, whether it was the vw shop that did it or mofoco. somehow after smitty put in a new engine, i think he resealed it. so far 2500 miles and no real problems and i think it stopped leaking. it has welded gears, paid like 7 or $800 i think, no core charge.
Copper1982
Copper1982

Back to top Go down

Post  ewdb92 Sun 24 Oct - 20:47

I seem to remember mofoco having some issues. I got a hold of a 1600 engine at some point (can't remember if it was GEX or mofoco) and it leaked like a sieve!! Still have it sitting in my garage for some reason:)
Thanks for the info.
Erik
ewdb92
ewdb92

Back to top Go down

Trans shop Empty Trans Rebuild

Post  Tom Messeder Thu 16 Dec - 14:31

Erik I sent my 63' bug trans and axles out to Rancho in CA. in two boxes as I wanted the original unit rebuilt . It was back in three weeks delivered on a pallet via ground freight assembled and ready to go . The cost : $300 shipping both ways and $499 for the rebuild . I am no expert but seems like anyone's experience with either a used unit or sending it to an east coast destination for rebuild leads to frustration . If you do not have to have that particular unit rebuilt I would just buy one off the shelf already rebuilt from them . Popping the engine in an out is one thing but but pulling the transaxle is something I want to keep to a minimum . My trans is like new so I am happy to have gone thru the trouble of shipping it .
Tom in F'Burg

Tom Messeder

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackah Fri 17 Dec - 9:53

How long does it typically take to remove the tranny? Any special tools involved? I like hearing the term "popping the engine out" lol! Makes it sound like it's very simple! I'm a n00b to ACVW's but am extremely interested in them. Okay, I'm nuts about them, there... I said it.

Crackah

Back to top Go down

Trans shop Empty Trans. Removal

Post  Tom Messeder Fri 17 Dec - 14:03

I would say with the engine already out and the bus jacked up it would take 3 or 4 hours if taking your time and doing it carefully . I am not familiar with all the differences in how the trans. is mounted bus vs. bug but even though I consider myself "capable" and watched the appropriate Bug Me Video I still paid one of my VW Cruiser Club friends that has alot of experience to help me remove then re-install the trans. and it was well worth it especially when it came to seperating the axles from the trans. As far as special tools I think you just have to have some large metric sockets with at least a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch socket breaker bar plus wrenches going up to at least 23mm . I believe you have several CV members that do this kind of work or if no one were to step up I can give you the name of the guy who helped me that is in the VW Cruiser Club out toward Culpeper . Hope this helps . Tom

Tom Messeder

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackah Fri 17 Dec - 14:16

That doesn't sound too painful. I ask because given the budget I believe I will have, I'm sure whatever I end up with will need some help! Thanks for the info.

Crackah

Back to top Go down

Post  R.Rabbit Fri 17 Dec - 21:44

Depends on whether it's a swing or IRS. To just pull the trans 19mm is the largest you'll need. Couple hours tops once the motor is out which takes about 30-hour depending on your experience and if you're in a hurry. I can have mine out in about 30-45 taking my time (starting with jacking up the bus) and working by myself.

Took me about 6-7 hours total to drain, pull, swap R/P, axles and nose cone, then re-install AND then realize I had a 6vlt trans and had to do some grinding to get the 12vlt flywheel to fit.
R.Rabbit
R.Rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  joebug1951 Sat 18 Dec - 1:02

R.Rabbit wrote: then realized I had a 6vlt trans and had to do some grinding to get the 12vlt flywheel to fit.

Hate it when that happens. At least you didnt catch anything on fire when you started to grind on the tranny! Or did you? Laughing
joebug1951
joebug1951
Admin

https://vavwgroups.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  R.Rabbit Sat 18 Dec - 22:55

joebug1951 wrote:
R.Rabbit wrote: then realized I had a 6vlt trans and had to do some grinding to get the 12vlt flywheel to fit.

Hate it when that happens. At least you didn't catch anything on fire when you started to grind on the tranny! Or did you? Laughing
all that fire shit is over-rated Laughing
R.Rabbit
R.Rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  ewdb92 Tue 21 Dec - 0:04

I sent my 63' bug trans and axles out to Rancho in CA. in two boxes as I wanted the original unit rebuilt
Thanks Tom, I'll check them out. Any suggestion on a machine shop here?

How long does it typically take to remove the tranny? Any special tools involved?
Not long at all once the engine is out. Took me maybe an hr the first time, now 30-45 min, but that's for 71 buses. For the CVs you'll need either an allen or star tool to get the bolts off. Check your Bentley for sizes (can't remember now) and bolt/nut info. Take your time putting it back in - wouldn't want to forget anything! Very Happy
ewdb92
ewdb92

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down