VA VW Groups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild.

5 posters

Go down

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. Empty Kelly's fasty engine rebuild.

Post  Slow Steve Sat 7 May - 20:43

So I pulled Kelly's engine out of her 71 fasty due to chatter at high rpms and an exxon valdez oil leak out of the rear main seal. I didn't take many pics up to this point but will take more moving forward. Crank is off at the machine shop getting some love and case is getting some case savers. I'm going to do the guides and possibly valve job myself; We will see how it goes. Post pics as I go.

Here's the engine pulled and being supported by my top-o-line engine stand Laughing
Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. IMG_1133

I think I found the culprit of the chatter:
Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. IMG_1135

And the rattling crank caused this:
Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. IMG_1137

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. Empty Re: Kelly's fasty engine rebuild.

Post  Blue Totoro Sun 8 May - 3:21

Good luck with the semi-rebuild, Steve. Is the house next to you for sale/rent? Very Happy
Blue Totoro
Blue Totoro

http://www.c3vs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve Sun 8 May - 11:24

Blue Totoro wrote:Good luck with the semi-rebuild, Steve. Is the house next to you for sale/rent? Very Happy

Thanks! It's not a semi-rebuild. Crank ground, new rods/rings/crank/cam bearings, found out that PO decided to change two pistons so that made the engine unbalanced which means new pistons and jugs, heads will also be rebuilt. I will also rebuild both carbs, case savers. I think that pretty much covers it besides all the regular stuff.

Did you ever get that ghia and welder you spoke of?

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Hundley Sun 8 May - 14:57

Are you getting the case checked out also????
Jerry Hundley
Jerry Hundley

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve Sun 8 May - 23:05

oh yeah, block is getting checked out and align bored if needed. Now the waiting game until I get stuff back from machine shop.... owell I guess I got some time for my other crap sitting in the driveway Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. 14418

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  puddle pirate Wed 18 May - 22:51

What machine shop are you using? I am looking for a new shop. I have to get a 1.7 crank stroked out to a 2.0 for my sons type 4 engine. I also need to get fly cutting done for my Super
puddle pirate
puddle pirate

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve Fri 20 May - 18:37

puddle pirate wrote:What machine shop are you using? I am looking for a new shop. I have to get a 1.7 crank stroked out to a 2.0 for my sons type 4 engine. I also need to get fly cutting done for my Super

The best machine shop around in my opinion is the one right behind the advance auto on Hull st. right off of Chippenham parkway. There is a row of buildings right behind AA and he is on the last on left. I took my spindles to get the king pins pressed out, he looked and said ahh VW, I haven't seen those in a little while. I talkled to him for about a half hour and then he did the king pins right then. No waiting. good guy and I have heard others speak highly of him.

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve Fri 20 May - 18:43

Sorry for the delay in posts, but here you go. I did the assembly at Smitty's. Cool old cat with tons of knowledge and tools I don't have Wink .

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. Sideways

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. Misionary

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. Ass

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. Test

This part cracked me up. I didn't have any help to get the engine out of my element so I had to do it in steps. Notice the pallet, with tool box stacked. Laughing

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. IMG_1162

Kelly's fasty engine rebuild. IMG_1161

She's in and running smooth. Don't hate on my pro-work shop that consists of plywood and a blanket to lie on so the rocks don't hurt to bad. Laughing Well what do you guys think? Took longer than I wanted it to. Stay tuned for a paint job next. I'm going to try out my hand at body work and paint. See how it goes. I will start a new thread for that one.

Last edited by Slow Steve on Fri 10 Jun - 20:14; edited 1 time in total

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  roy63 Fri 20 May - 22:42

beer
roy63
roy63

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down