VA VW Groups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum)

3 posters

Go down

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) Empty Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum)

Post  Slow Steve Tue 19 Apr - 23:57

I don't know if you would call this a project, but I wanted to post it up if anybody is interested. I picked up a beam (drum to drum) a little while ago and wanted to rebuild the spindles. The front end was sitting on the drums so needless to say the spindles were frozen, shoes were stuck to the drums and so on. I finally got everything separated. You know those threads that everything comes apart easily? Well this wasn't one of them. These have fought me every step of the way. I got the link pin bushings out no problem, but the king pin was a whole different story. I hammered them and hammered them and they didn't give. So I ended up taking them to a local machine shop to get them pressed out. I was watching and it was tough even with a press. I could have hammered on these pins for days and they probably would not have come out. So anyway I finally disassembled the spindles today. Don't hate on my pro bench (1/2 inch plywood on top of a grill stand Cool )

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1079

So check out the wear on the link pin bushings, they should be round but have been worn oval. If you counted only three when there should be 4.. your right. I still haven't found the 4th after it shot out of the carriers Laughing

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1080

Here's a shot with the link pins in to see how they "should" look. Notice the tight fit.

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1083

And here's how it fits with the worn out bushing (a lot of play that would translate to poor handling) :

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1084

But that's where I stopped today. The zerks and all bushings are out and the spindles are ready to be cleaned up and painted. I will post pics up when I get a little more done and bushings in.

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) Empty Re: Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum)

Post  Slow Steve Wed 20 Apr - 10:08

Alright, I decided to do the whole front suspension (drum to drum) why stop with the spindles? I'll keep you guys posted with progress. Should handle like new when done. I'm going to keep it all stock for my 63.

Last edited by Slow Steve on Thu 21 Apr - 20:37; edited 1 time in total

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) Empty Re: Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum)

Post  Slow Steve Thu 21 Apr - 20:26

So got a little done on the spindles. I found a local set of German king pin set so I picked them up, installed them. Just so happened he had a reamer handy so I installed bushings and reamed. Here's pics. I'm waiting on a set of German link pins. I will post up pics as I go.

Ready to go together (again, don't hate on my top of the line work bench Cool ):

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1085

Here they are assembled:

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1087

My son that helped goofing around:

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1086

Next up:

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1089

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  leaker Fri 22 Apr - 9:12

From junk to jewel,looking good!
leaker
leaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve Fri 22 Apr - 16:22

leaker wrote:From junk to jewel,looking good!

Thanks! I seem to pick up the stuff nobody would touch. As Smitty would say "Steve, your turning chicken $h!t into chicken salad" Laughing

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper1982 Sun 24 Apr - 22:31

looks good, gonna keep the bus stock heighth??
Copper1982
Copper1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve Mon 25 Apr - 23:59

Copper1982 wrote:looks good, gonna keep the bus stock heighth??

Thanks! I haven't decided on the height of the bus yet. This is just a beam I had laying around that I wanted to get back into shape. I might throw it on my 63 bug when done. I plan on taking the body off and see what I come up with. More progress on the beam tomorrow. I should have it cleaned up and painted while waiting on some parts.

Last edited by Slow Steve on Thu 28 Apr - 16:27; edited 1 time in total

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve Wed 27 Apr - 20:21

Here's what I got done today. All cleaned up and painted. Beam grease is nasty. but anyways check it.

Before:

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1089

After, not too shaby:

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1109

Never get tired of seeing that

Front suspension rebuild (drum to drum) IMG_1107[img]

Slow Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down