Kelly's "rookie" paint jobby job

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kelly's "rookie" paint jobby job

Post  Slow Steve on Sat 25 Jun - 13:12

Welp, weather looked good this morning so I brought the fenders in the paint booth... ahaha I can't help but laugh when I say that about this contraption... it looks ok.. especially for my first jobby job.. I will take them out about 2-2:30 and car goes in next and we will see what it ends up looking like... You be the judge.

I missed two small dings..

I see some wet sanding and buffing in my future.... I hope Kelly likes oranges Laughing

Slow Steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve on Sat 25 Jun - 18:57

Alrighty, the body is painted.... And I was playing around with the air volume and found it was too high. As I cranked it down, there was less orange peel. But anyways I'm sure I was going to wet sand it and buff it before I shot it. Here's a few pics:

Just glad it's finally painted and now I will let it cure before I cut and buff.

Slow Steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glenn hicks on Sat 25 Jun - 21:06

how many coats of paint did you apply?? what grit are you going to use to wet-sand with???
glenn hicks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve on Sat 25 Jun - 21:18

glenn hicks wrote:how many coats of paint did you apply?? what grit are you going to use to wet-sand with???

I shot 3 coats. Why? too many, too little? I'm not sure what grit yet, I was hoping some paint and body guru would chime in and drop some knowledge on me.. Glenn.. any ideas? Very Happy

Slow Steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Hundley on Sat 25 Jun - 21:19

Slow Steve wrote:
glenn hicks wrote:how many coats of paint did you apply?? what grit are you going to use to wet-sand with???

I shot 3 coats. Why? too many, too little? I'm not sure what grit yet, I was hoping some paint and body guru would chime in and drop some knowledge on me.. Glenn.. any ideas? Very Happy

atleast 1200 grit. Looks like you could use another coat or 2 on it. Just doesnt have much of a shine to it. Could be the pictures also. Try putting the paint on alittle thicker.
Jerry Hundley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glenn hicks on Sat 25 Jun - 22:06

Slow Steve wrote:

3 "dry" coats?? you said you had the air pressure too high at first right??? it appears with the paint and orange peel it might be on the dry side.... i would definitely stay clear of all the edges and it's better to be safe than sorry, i would start using high grit paper at first.....i would try 1500 for starters....but just as Jerry said, don't go any coarser than 1200...
glenn hicks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glenn hicks on Sat 25 Jun - 22:08

don't think you will be able to completely smooth it out, but with 3M Polishing compound and a decent RPM buffer, it should turn out nice!
glenn hicks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve on Sat 25 Jun - 22:56

I did put thin coats trying to avoid orange peel, but it didn't work, and after seeing all of it I didn't think I would be able to sand it all out. I thought the orange peel was what might be causing it to look dull. But if it needs more coats as both of you guys said, this paint has a recoat time of 16 hours; which would make it around noon tomorrow. If it needs more, I can shoot more. Is there any prep work involved, or just wipe it with wax and grease remover and shoot it, lite sand? Or, should I just leave it and wet sand and buff?

Slow Steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  joebug1951 on Sat 25 Jun - 23:03

DONT use wax, if its still a bit tacky shoot it again.

http://100grana.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/bumblebee.gif
joebug1951
Admin

View user profile http://vavwgroups.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve on Sat 25 Jun - 23:10

joebug1951 wrote:DONT use wax, if its still a bit tacky shoot it again.

I meant if I was going to recoat do I use wax and grease remover and then shoot it again, or just shoot it again.

Slow Steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Hundley on Sat 25 Jun - 23:10

just shoot it
Jerry Hundley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glenn hicks on Sun 26 Jun - 6:26

just shoot it....you have the 18 hour window for the paint to dry. you don't want to wipe down a non cured paint job yet with solvent. if it's almost dry enough i just suggest blowing it off with the paint gun trigger halfway, and maybe a tack rag lightly laid over paint with no force behind it.
glenn hicks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  glenn hicks on Sun 26 Jun - 6:50

We all know how and what our very first paint job on anything looked like. there are lots of reasons for you to look into so the next thing you paint will be nice and slick. first thing is to make sure the paint is WELL mixed and that you have the right amount of reducer in it. through past experiences of my own, not having enough reducer isn't allowing the paint to thin itself out enough to spray evenly through the gun which causes it at times to spray splotchy. make sure the spray pattern out of the gun has it's skinny oval shape to it. make sure you have an inline air pressure gauge at the gun, so you can make sure you are maintaining the correct spray pressure needed. the speed at which you spray also makes a huge difference whether or not you will get a slick finish. you want to watch that paint be applied nice and wet, but you also have this fear of running it the first few times you paint. that is something you learn as you gain experience.

Welcome to the backyard paint-job Family!
glenn hicks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve on Mon 27 Jun - 2:26

Thanks Glenn. I didn't recoat it today, I'm going to let it cure for a week, then do the sand and see. I'm hoping that it will clean up. I'm definently not going for perfect or even close. If it comes down to it, I will just repaint the whole thing... It shouldn't take that long, body work is already done...

I'm going to try painting a few things before I get to my bus... Lots to think about....

Slow Steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top