VA VW Groups
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic ignition

4 posters

Go down

Electronic ignition Empty Electronic ignition

Post  Dharma Bus 72 Thu 3 Jun - 16:19

Hello everyone, I just bought a electronic ignition for my 72 bus. It has a 1700 Pancake engine. My question is this... Do I have to set the timing after installing this if I do not remove the distributor? After reading the instructions I got nervous about installing it and stopped. It is the empi brand accu-fire part. I am not really engine savvy but am trying to learn. I also do not know how to set timing. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dharma Bus 72

Back to top Go down

Electronic ignition Empty Re: Electronic ignition

Post  Blue Totoro Thu 3 Jun - 22:52

With an electronic ignition you have no need to set the timing because you are no longer using points. So go ahead and pull out the distributor to install it. Remove your condensor because the ignition replaces both points and condensor...then just hook the two lead wires to your coil...be sure to connect the positive wire to the positive terminal on you coil and the negative wire to the negative. Should be an easy job. If you are having problems then I might be able to come over Saturday and help you out.
Blue Totoro
Blue Totoro

http://www.c3vs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dharma Bus 72 Fri 4 Jun - 11:24

Cool, let me know if you are available, I would feel more comfortable with someone who knows what they are doing. Everyone says it is really easy but I bet you I could screw it up. Thanks again

Dharma Bus 72

Back to top Go down

Post  leaker Fri 4 Jun - 20:07

Sorry,but you cant just drop the distributor back in and call it a good day,timing will need to be set,and then it will be worry free for quite some time.I like to use a timing light on mine,but there are ways to set up initial timing without one. Surprised
leaker
leaker

Back to top Go down

Electronic ignition Empty timing

Post  Dharma Bus 72 Fri 4 Jun - 21:26

OK so if I remove the distributor I would need to set timing. What if I just install the electronic ignition with out removing the distributor? It seems easy to get to without taking it out. I have no clue how to set timing maybe I should lean that soon to.

Dharma Bus 72

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Totoro Sat 5 Jun - 1:24

Jayson...I can be at your place around 2:30 tomorrow and we can do this, and the valve job, before heading over to Buffalo Wild Wings. I'll call you...
Blue Totoro
Blue Totoro

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Hundley Sat 5 Jun - 19:56

Blue Totoro wrote:With an electronic ignition you have no need to set the timing because you are no longer using points. So go ahead and pull out the distributor to install it. Remove your condensor because the ignition replaces both points and condensor...then just hook the two lead wires to your coil...be sure to connect the positive wire to the positive terminal on you coil and the negative wire to the negative. Should be an easy job. If you are having problems then I might be able to come over Saturday and help you out.

That is not right at all. You have to set the timing wether you run points or not.
Jerry Hundley
Jerry Hundley

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Totoro Sun 6 Jun - 18:33

Jerry Hundley wrote:
Blue Totoro wrote:With an electronic ignition you have no need to set the timing because you are no longer using points. So go ahead and pull out the distributor to install it. Remove your condensor because the ignition replaces both points and condensor...then just hook the two lead wires to your coil...be sure to connect the positive wire to the positive terminal on you coil and the negative wire to the negative. Should be an easy job. If you are having problems then I might be able to come over Saturday and help you out.

That is not right at all. You have to set the timing wether you run points or not.

Yes, you're right Jerry...we figured that at as we read through the installation instructions. We removed the distributor and took out the points and condensor. First off, the point gap needed to be adjusted so I kept that in mind if we needed to put the points/condensor back in. Turns out, that's exactly what happened. When we installed the compu-fire with the magnet plate, the rotor wouldn't fully seat on the distributor shaft and so the distributor didn't fully set into the drive gear. I read that some folks have to grind down the rotor to get it to set right. Others say just smack the rotor down with a wrench or something to get it on the shaft tight. Well, we didn't try either so we put the points back in for the time being. Set the gap to .016, set the timing and the bus fired up right away. He was having starting issues and I attributed that to the points originally being out of adjustment. So for now, Jayson is motoring along fine...we still need to adjust the valves though!
Blue Totoro
Blue Totoro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum