Bad engine blues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bad engine blues

Post  NoTop69 on Fri 26 Mar - 22:02

Well it appears my engine is suffering from #3 cylinder stretched exhaust valve syndrome and the oil has started to get a silver tint to it. Sad Anyone have a decent engine or rebuildable core that's taking up too much valuable floor space? Right now it's a 1500 single port hooked to an auto stick tranny.

NoTop69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bad engine blues

Post  Blue Totoro on Fri 26 Mar - 22:44

Not me...but try Shmitty if no one else can come through. His number is: (804) 231-2346
Blue Totoro

View user profile http://www.c3vs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Slow Steve on Fri 26 Mar - 23:12

dacarbie wrote:Not me...but try Shmitty if no one else can come through. His number is: (804) 231-2346

Schmitty is the man! I'm sure he has some lying around. If you want to learn how to rebuild an engine, he will guide you through it. I built my first there. I would try him first.

Slow Steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lickity Split on Sat 3 Apr - 19:12

why not just rebuild yours?? new heads are cheap.
Lickity Split

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NoTop69 on Sat 17 Apr - 0:06

Thought about a rebuild on this one but hate to disable the car for a long time. At least it's still moveable right now. Shouldn't I go ahead and upgrade to a doghouse cooler and dual relief case? My present engine is missing some cooling system componets so there's some added cost. Seems like it would be easier to start out with a later engine. Haven't done much work on vw engines so I'm a little leery of rebuilding, would rather swap and ride at this time. Besides if you believe the vw forums it's hard to get good quality parts. Any suggestions on parts brands or suppliers?

NoTop69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Totoro on Sat 17 Apr - 0:19

NoTop69 wrote:Thought about a rebuild on this one but hate to disable the car for a long time. At least it's still moveable right now. Shouldn't I go ahead and upgrade to a doghouse cooler and dual relief case? My present engine is missing some cooling system componets so there's some added cost. Seems like it would be easier to start out with a later engine. Haven't done much work on vw engines so I'm a little leery of rebuilding, would rather swap and ride at this time. Besides if you believe the vw forums it's hard to get good quality parts. Any suggestions on parts brands or suppliers?

I agree with Ronnie...figure out which parts you need and rebuild with parts from Wolfsburg West. In my opinion they have the best quality air-cooled parts around. http://wolfsburgwest.com/

They may be a little more expensive than other places, but I and others on here can attest to their quality, and much more importantly, their fit!!! Then take your stuff to Shmitty and he can show you how to do it.
Blue Totoro

View user profile http://www.c3vs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lickity Split on Sat 24 Apr - 10:35

NoTop69 wrote: Besides if you believe the vw forums it's hard to get good quality parts.

Believe half of what you see and nothing you hear.

I've built several motors using all cheap parts and they are still on the road after 3-4 years. Maybe it's the builders not what they are building. missing cooling tins will kill a engine. Smitty can take your motor out and replace the head to if the rest of the motor is good.
Lickity Split

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Wed 5 May - 9:15

I have a compete single port motor that I will sell for $450. Let me know
Tony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1600 dp

Post  Kelley Williams on Sun 16 May - 11:20

I have (or will shortly) a 1600 dp that I will trade you for complete installtion and tune of a new 1776. New motor should be here by late May. If you want to see the engine give me a shout (804-337-0090) currently engine is running fine but can not get the dual solex 35 pdsit tuned correctly. Will appreciate any help with that as well until new engine is here. If you I don't answer cell phone you can try my e-mail. jkelleywil@msn.com or kelley@daystardesserts.com
Kelley Williams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top